I made this for my parents when they visited….they, my children, and my ‘plant based whole food’ eater husband and I loved it! It’s a favorite and a staple in our menu now.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cups diced potatoes (I kept skins on and used golden potatoes, which are my favorite)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen carrots
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 9 cups warm water, divided
- 1 cup raw (not roasted) lightly salted (if salted at all) cashews
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp. dry veggie broth mix** (or for my meat-eater friends, 2 chicken bouillon cubes work)
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed (seasoning)
In soup pot, saute onion, garlic, and celery for 2 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, and 7 1/2 cups of water to the pot. Simmer, covered, until veggies are fork tender. Add corn, cook 5-10 minutes more, until everything is heated through.
In a blender, place 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup raw cashews, dry veggie broth mix (or cubes), celery seed, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. Add mixture to the pot and stir well.
Now you can eat it as is, or for creamier, take 3-4 cups of the soup and blend it in a blender until smooth, then reincorporate it into the soup pot.
Can be refrigerated for 5 days. It won’t last that long, trust me!
**This is the dry veggie broth mix that I used (and that I currently use with all of my meals.) It’s super easy and lasts a while.
Dry Veggie Broth Mix
3 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
1 cup wheat germ (it’s usually in the baking aisle, near the flour)
Mix all together, store in an airtight container. Stir gently before using.
1 tbsp. of mix to 1 cup of warm water makes 1 cup of broth.