This is a simple soup that will warm you up on chilly days. Today was surprisingly chilly, and this soup simmering was a welcome dish!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen carrots*
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 8 cups vegetable broth (I used 8 cups of water and my dry veggie broth mix)
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 can (drained and rinsed) beans (white or kidney)
- salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion and celery for five minutes in a little bit of olive oil. Stir in garlic, cook one minute more. Add rest of ingredients, simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until veggies are cooked through. Stir occasionally.
*You can use 1 1/2 cups large fresh carrots, chopped, instead of frozen. I use frozen because I found an amazing deal for $1/bag of frozen veggies, and I stocked up. Frozen veggies cook quicker than fresh, so if you are using fresh, just be aware that the carrots may take longer. You may want to chop them a little bit smaller to compensate.