This is a perfect soup on a cold day! It’s easy too! All of my kids loved it!!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 4 small-medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can cannelli beans, drained and rinsed.
Saute the onion, celery, and Italian Seasonings in oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes in a large soup pot. Then, stir everything else into the pot. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occassionally, until the veggies are tender, about 30 minutes. * You will want to have your sweet potatoes and carrots diced thinly, as this will speed your cooking time.
In addition, I cooked barley and put it in the soup. Here’s how:
Before you even start the soup, rinse 1/2 cup of dry pearl barley in a mesh strainer. Then, boil in a small saucepan 1 cup of water. When it boils, add the barley, lower heat to simmer, and cook, covered for 45 minutes. By the time you are done with the soup, you can add the barley right in the soup pot!