If you have known me (or followed me on facebook) for any length of time, you KNOW I love my Roasted Red Pepper soup! It seems I’m always posting pix of it on cold winter days, as I anticipate eating it! My original has chicken, chicken stock, and half and half in it, so, with keeping in my challenge, I wanted to make the soup vegan, so I didn’t have to give up all of my comfort foods.
And I did.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 (6 oz) jars of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Heat olive oil in large soup pan, add celery and onion. Cook 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook one more minute.
- Add flour and quickly whisk vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Add soy milk and roasted red peppers, and stir. Heat through.
- Add oregano, salt, and pepper.
In my recipe photo above, you will notice carrots. I did add carrots in my first try of this recipe, although, I omitted it from the recipe from here on out because I felt like the carrot flavor was competing against the soup flavor. But, if you are curious and want to try it, just add the carrots at the beginning with the onion and celery. It wasn’t bad, just not for me. The great thing about soup is you can add or take out of it whatever you want, making it an ideal meal for you and your family!
- Serves 6-8
- 156 calories (based on 6 servings)
- 29 g carbs
- 3 g fat
- 4 g protein
- 5 g sugar